Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Class Recap 3/5, 3/6

Yesterday, I did not go to class because I and four other students went to Danvers with Mr. Colby to listen to a speaker named Al Duncan. He talked about leadership and change-making in our own lives and community and the world around us. It was interesting to go to the Summit. I am glad I went. Rachel got my work for me, which turned out to be four papers dealing with "separate but equal," mainly in schools. The segregation of the South was getting to be a major problem, so it was decided to hold a series of five trials that would all together decide what to do about it. The trials were collectively called Brown v. Board of Education. I read the handouts and answered the questions.
Today's class was extremely beneficial to me. We watched a documentary the entire period that taught us all about the case of Emmett Till. We answered four or five questions about the documentary. It was very interesting, but it was even better because I picked Emmett Till for my Desktop Documentary due on Friday. I was completely shocked when I saw what happened to Emmett and even more shocked when I learned that the two white men convicted for his murder were announced not guilty. It just shows how twisted and wrong society in the South was back in the years leading up to the Civil Rights movement. I did not know very much at all about Emmett Till until today, and I am excited to speak about him in the documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment